It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:43 am

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: MyIDE+Flash IDE Cartridge - Atari Disk Drive Transfers?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:09 pm 

I have been reading about the various AtariMax products and would like the functionality the MYIDE cartridge offers. ie: to use an Atari computer without having to keep using 5.25" floppies.

Initially I will need to transfer the remaining Atari 5.25 disks that I have to a PC (for emulator use) and to the IDE device that I link to the MYIDE cartridge. I did transfer some disks a few years ago with Deana/Anadisk, but only managed to convert some.

I know that the SIO2PC interface is the most straightforward way to transfer Atari Disks over to a PC, but I will not use this interface once this is done. I think that the MYIDE cartridge will also allow me to do this so I therefore have a few questions to verify that my understanding is correct - any help appreciated.

(1) Can I transfer files/disks directly from the Atari computer and the 1050 drive to the MYIDE IDE device. If so would I use the ProSystem software to do this?

(2) Some of my Atari disks are DOS 3 - will it be possible to transfer these over in the same way as (1)

(3) If the only way to transfer the Atari disks direct from the Atari & 1050 drive is to buy a SIO2PC interface will it be possible to simply use ProSystem to grab images of the DOS 3 disks?

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: MyIDE+Flash IDE Cartridge - Atari Disk Drive Transfers?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:38 pm 

newat wrote:

I know that the SIO2PC interface is the most straightforward way to transfer Atari Disks over to a PC, but I will not use this interface once this is done. ...

Don't be too sure. I have MyIDE internal, MyIDE external, SIO2SD and I use SIO2PC / Ape more than any of them!!

I have found that the SIO2PC/APE setup is the most compatible of all (for what I do anyway).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:43 pm 

newat wrote:
I know that the SIO2PC interface is the most straightforward way to transfer Atari Disks over to a PC, but I will not use this interface once this is done. I think that the MYIDE cartridge will also allow me to do this so I therefore have a few questions to verify that my understanding is correct - any help appreciated.

The SIO2PC interface is worth every penny, and I'm sure you may just use it again. The Atarimax SIO2PC interface is also a ProSystem interface, so it's doubly useful!

Quote:
(1) Can I transfer files/disks directly from the Atari computer and the 1050 drive to the MYIDE IDE device. If so would I use the ProSystem software to do this?

Yes, you can transfer disks directly to your MyIDE device, using either the built-in Image Manager (Press START at boot up), or a program such as the MyIDE Image Manager that I wrote. No, Prosystem is not the software to do this.

You can also use PC-side tools, such as Hias' MyIDE tool to transfer the disks on your PC, which is much faster, but it sounds like you don't have the disks on the PC yet...

Quote:
(2) Some of my Atari disks are DOS 3 - will it be possible to transfer these over in the same way as (1)

Absolutely no problem, since the disks are copied sector-by-sector with the Image Manager.

Quote:
(3) If the only way to transfer the Atari disks direct from the Atari & 1050 drive is to buy a SIO2PC interface will it be possible to simply use ProSystem to grab images of the DOS 3 disks?

Prosystem will make images of pretty much any disk, even copy-protected ones. There is no way to run copy-protected disk images from the MyIDE system currently though. Your DOS 3 disks will be fine, either with MyIDE or using ProSystem.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:28 am 

Shawn Jefferson wrote:
Prosystem will make images of pretty much any disk, even copy-protected ones. There is no way to run copy-protected disk images from the MyIDE system currently though. Your DOS 3 disks will be fine, either with MyIDE or using ProSystem.

My success rate with creating .pro images of copy protected disks with the USB SIO2PC interface is very poor. Only 2-3 out of 15 or so disks was turned in a working .pro image.
Maybe it works better with a Happy drive.

Robert

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:08 am 

Thanks for all the advice and for correcting my understanding.

That is excellent news - initially I will get a MIDE+Flash Cart and see how I get on with that.

My priority is to get everything read from my Floppies as my 1050 has started playing up a bit. I only want to transfer my own stuff (ie: BASIC and assembler source code) so the copy protection is not an issue.

I am off to the ordering page now!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]