It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:41 am

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:22 pm 

hmm, I guess modern Live CDs can access NTFS partitions but I have none so I can't test that either.

Off topic:
Talking about Atarisio bootdisk has reminded me that I wouldn't mind creating a couple updated bootable CDs.

I hardly ever use them but it's good to know that I can boot a CD in just about any old PC (with or without hard drive) and have it serving most games available for my 800.

- Steve

Post subject: Re: File management utility suggestions?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:49 pm 

Hi!
phsstpok wrote:
For Linux we have one of Hias Reichl's other utiltities, called dir2atr. It will take an entire subdirectory structure and attempt to stuff it into an ATR which the utility creates for you.

Unfortunately, AFAIK, there is not a Windows version of this utility (AFAIK) but there is at least one convoluted option and possibly another.

I just made an attempt at compiling a Windows executable of dir2atr. It was quite a mess, had to change a lot of code (directories separated with "" instead of "/", missing functions etc.), but a quick test with wine seemed to have worked. Of course there might still be some bugs, if you find one please drop me a line.

Here's the EXE: http://www.horus.com/~hias/tmp/dir2atr-090211.zip

A very short guide to using it:

It's best you put all your Atari-files into a directory, let's just call it "games". Then you can create a 65535 sectors DD image named "games.atr", with MyPicoDos and long file names with this command:
dir2atr.exe -m -p -b MyPicoDos404N -d 65535 games.atr games

The "-m" option set MyDOS mode and enables directory recursion.

"-p" creates the PICONAME.TXT File(s) from the original long filenames.

"-b MyPicoDos404N" writes MyPicoDos version 4.04 with highspeed SIO disabled to the image.

"-d" tells dir2atr to create a DD (instead of SD) image.

The "65535" is the number of sectors on the disk (you may skip it, then dir2atr automatically calculates the needed size).

Finally, "games.atr" is the name of the image file and "games" is the name of the directory where your files are.

so long,

Hias

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:02 pm 

Brilliant! Hias has come to the rescue. I've created two 16mb ATR partitions from filled directory trees, and used MyIDETool to install them on a compact flash disk.

Everything works!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:37 pm 

Crash wrote:
Brilliant! Hias has come to the rescue. I've created two 16mb ATR partitions from filled directory trees, and used MyIDETool to install them on a compact flash disk.

Everything works!

Update - I've since put together three partition images filled with files and directories and written them to the compact flash disk. There were no problems, and I'm happy to say that this task is complete.

Thanks for providing a total solution.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:11 pm 

confirmed Hias, another one to put on your web page!

sometimes the simplest answer is the best answer, and you are truely one of GOOD people in the Atari community! I tip my hat to you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:13 pm 

Thanks a lot, you are welcome!

I'll review the program and then upload it to my webpage. Just noticed that my development "MyPicoDos4.05" stuff was still in it. Well, that can happen if one codes at 4am :-)

so long,

Hias

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:34 am 

HiassofT wrote:
Hi!
I just made an attempt at compiling a Windows executable of dir2atr. It was quite a mess, had to change a lot of code (directories separated with "" instead of "/", missing functions etc.), but a quick test with wine seemed to have worked. Of course there might still be some bugs, if you find one please drop me a line.

so long,

Hias

Hi,
My ATR's made with this method works great, but MakeAtr v0.6 will not open the ATR I didn't make it bootable nor add a sectors switch.
This is not a bug report just an observation.
Thanks for the program.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:16 am 

roye wrote:
My ATR's made with this method works great, but MakeAtr v0.6 will not open the ATR I didn't make it bootable nor add a sectors switch.

I just verified this. It seems that MakeAtr checks the boot sector(s) to determine the disk format.

If I include the MyDos 4.53 DOS.SYS file in the disk image and use the "-b MyDos453" option (to create MyDos boot sectors) MakeAtr is able to open the image.

so long,

Hias

Post subject: Dir2Atr
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:08 pm 

Thanks for the information. I just did a dir2atr /? >text.txt and got this.

dir2atr 0.30-090211 (c) 2004-2009 by Matthias Reichl
usage: dir2atr [-d] [-m] [-p] [-b <DOS>] [sectors] atrfile directory
-d create double density image (default: single density)
-m create MyDOS image (default: DOS 2.x)
-p create PICONAME.TXT (long filename description)
-b <DOS> create bootable disk for specified DOS
Supported DOS are: Dos20, Dos25, MyDos453,
TurboDos21, TurboDos21HS, MyPicoDos403, MyPicoDos403HS
MyPicoDos404, MyPicoDos404N, MyPicoDos404R, MyPicoDos404RN
MyPicoDos404B, MyPicoDos405, MyPicoDos405N, MyPicoDos405R,
MyPicoDos405RN, MyPicoDos405B, PicoBoot405

:) I should have done this originally.

Post subject: Re: Dir2Atr
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:51 pm 

roye wrote:
Thanks for the information. I just did a dir2atr /? >text.txt and got this.
:) I should have done this originally.

:-)

A few hints on the bootable disk options: The "MyPicoDos405" is some current development stuff that should not have sneaked in. Don't use it, it won't work reliably (I was working on the highspeed SIO code, it could be buggy).

If you use one of the "MyPicoDos" variants, dir2atr will automagically include the PICODOS.SYS in the image. But for the other DOSes you need to have the corresponding DOS.SYS in your files-directory, otherwise dir2atr will complain. Note: dir2atr doesn't check if the DOS.SYS matches the specified DOS version, so be careful to use the right one. Otherwise the disk just won't boot.

so long,

Hias

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2