It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:45 am

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Most of the games (exe/com/atr) don't work?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:06 pm 

Hi.

(yep, me again...)

I finally got the system configured correctly (or so I think), but to my disappointment most of the games just freeze while loading. I've tried with com/exe/atr-games, and the percentage of working games is way below 30%. Usually I just hear a "buzz" and the screen stays blue (or with atr:s I get the blue "myide 3.5f" -screen. Am I missing something very elementary (again)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:41 pm 

A few questions:

1. Are you using the MyIDE+Flashcart version, or the internal MyIDE version?

2. What titles are you trying?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:33 am 

I have the MyIDE+Flashcart. Sorry for not mantioning that in the original post.

Before I list the working/non-working games, I'll get me another cf-card, because I'm kinda suspicious about the 2 cards (32 mb and 4 gb) I have. Both seem somehow "flaky". I'll report back as soon as I can get me another card. Actually it is surprisingly dissicult these days (other formats have replaced cf in stores).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:55 am 

Ok, some info on the matter.

Examples of games (both atr:s and exe/com:s) that definitely don't work:

Barbarian
Bluemax
Summer Games
Uridium

Examples of games that work:

Up'n down
Donkey Kong Junior
Superhuey
Zaxxon

Basically more games don't work than do work. Is this a known fact or what?

Running the Myide Flash with Atari 800XL and Transcend 1GB CF.

*edit*

One more thing: some games that do load/start have severe graphical errors (for example Zaxxon), is this related to "bad images" or what?

*edit*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:16 am 

For the loaded 'soft'-os, this is a known fact.

-Some programs switch back on the internal ROM OS and thus disabling IDE-transfer.....
-Some programs also use the RAM under the OS. Here the MyIDE-OS is loaded and thus crashing the system.
Then there are programs using illigal entry-point in the (standard) OS which are not in the MyIDE-OS.

Try pressing SHIFT+CONTROL+ESC to reset the atari, this could starts the program.

Most games can be downloaded from the internet in a other form.
ATR instead of EXE and perhaps do work in that form.

But 30% is extremely low. Are you booting the game with the correct setting of BASIC disabled?

Cheers,
Sijmen.

PS graphic errors are mostly due to badly hacked games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:49 am 

Quote:
Are you booting the game with the correct setting of BASIC disabled?

I have selected "0" while holding START to get to image menu. Isn't this correct?

This might be (another) very stupid question, but how can I know if a game requires basic or not?

Thanks for the info, I'll test that "warm start" (SHIFT+CTRL+ESC) -thingy in the evening :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:53 am 

Doesn't sound very good. I've personally found that only a small percentage of games DON'T work (most DO). However, there are often a few "cracked" versions of xex or atr files floating around out there. atarionline.pl keeps multiple versions of several of these on their site. Sometimes, you just have to find the right one. I'm working on a collection of verified xex and atr files that are confirmed to work with the my-ide cart. Hold on...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:08 am 

Ok, I tested a few different versions of the games and the percentage of working games is now up to something like 50-60%. I'm still confused about the basic enabled/disabled -thingy. Can someone give me an example of a game that should be started with Basic Enabled? (or have I completely misunderstood what mr-atari said?)

Quote:
I'm working on a collection of verified xex and atr files that are confirmed to work with the my-ide cart. Hold on...

Great :D Looking forward to it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:37 pm 

There are a few games that require BASIC. One such game is Guess What's Coming to Dinner (http://www.atarimania.com/detail_soft.p ... ON_ID=2332).

My Image Manager (from the link below) allows you to mark a game that requires BASIC and then it will take care of enabling BASIC for you when you boot that game. There may be some combinations of computers and MyIDE hardware that I haven't tested with.

(of course BASIC must be off when you run my software in the first place)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:14 pm 

I don't know if you are still having problems? I personally don't need hundreds of games and just want to play the games I played back in 1985/1986 :D That's about 60 games.

When I downloaded these games in xex format about 15 of them did not work the first time. If you take a look at atarionline.pl (like Ponderosa said) there are a lot of different versions of the games. Sometimes you have 7 different xex versions and 5 atr's of 1 game. I personally could narrow the games that did not work down to 2: Bouty Bob Strikes Back and Spy vs Spy II. I did write the atr's of these 2 games to image space however and then wrote them back from image space to a real disk so I could at least play them.

Sometimes only 1 of 5 versions of a game work and sometimes none at all and you have to try the atr's. You state for example that Blue Max and Summer Games don't work. I have a working xex version of Blue Max and a working atr of Summer Games (2 atr's). Even the 'disk flipping' with Summer Games using shift-control-1 and 2 works like a charm.

So try all versions of a game that you want and you will find out that most of the games do work :wink:

Regards,
John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:01 pm 

Ok, thanks for the advice. I'll try out the different versions :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:16 am 

Ok, I can now happily confirm that after upgrading to the latest 4.4F beta and using the 16Mb atrs from this thread:

http://www.atarimax.com/flashcart/forum ... file+names

appr 9/10 games *do work*
:D :D :D

Thanks to everyone involved and especially al3ph for the atr:s :)

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ]