It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:01 am

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: MYIDE + Flash formatting CF issues
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:27 am 

Hi there,
I have a MYIDE+ Flash cartridge, not MYIDE II. I bought it back in 2009. I've installed a compatible 1GB Compact Flash card. A very early FDISK version that came with my cartridge could read the CF and make partitions but after that no success initializing it using the MYDOS4.53 (the version that was patched to work with MYIDE). I've found and flashed a few later packages with MYBIOS, SIDE FAT32 LOADER etc, but none of them contain a better more recent version of fdisk inside. Of course flashing the cardridge with other packages I lost the original flashed package that was installed in my cartridge (2009) and never found it for downloading to any topic here. Could you please post that here plus a newer one that contain an upgraded fdisk ? Reading all the topics, I couldn't find a complete ATR with most recent and updated files that need in order to make a working Compact Flash. Thank you very much in advance.

Post subject: Re: MYIDE + Flash formatting CF issues
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:32 am 

This is the latest compiled version I did:
viewtopic.php?p=9942#p9942

This is the shipping firmware:
viewtopic.php?p=2072#p2072

At what point in the quick-guide does it goes wrong?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:03 am 

Hi,
I flashed my MyIDE with the file myide-1-flasher.zip, used the instructions and finally I formatted the 1GB CF with a few partitions.

In your newer flashed version the menu items are not that useful for me and probably for the most people here I guess that are not programmers:

"MyDOS rescue" does not recognize any of the internal MyIDE CF partitions. If I load MYDOS ATR from an external source like floppy or APE (the version which is patched to work with MyIDE), I can see the directories of the partitions my IDE CF.

SIDE fat32-loader does not work at all to MYIDE. Isn't there any other FAT32 loader compatible with MyIDE ? Should I put a Fat32 formatted CF to see the contents ? If yes, can I put a double IDE-CF adaptor (master & slave) to have the one as Atari formateed and the second one as FAT32 formatted and transfer .ATRs or .XEX or .COM etc ?

Also, the MyIDEDriveManager does not work to my PC too. So, I can't transfer any ATR to my partitions that way. Is there another way to transfer big ATRs to my CF partitions ?

Finally, can I have the latest firmware of my MYIDE ? and how can I upgrade it to the latest version ? Maybe I have an old firmware at my MyIDE + flash unit.

Thank you

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 3:01 am 

>Everything is tested and used by others, so I have no idea why things do not work as it should at your place.

In your newer flashed version the menu items are not that useful for me and probably for the most people here I guess that are not programmers:
>That is the latest version.
>You are free to create your own compilation on the flash-cartridge.

"MyDOS rescue" does not recognize any of the internal MyIDE CF partitions. If I load MYDOS ATR from an external source like floppy or APE (the version which is patched to work with MyIDE), I can see the directories of the partitions my IDE CF.
>First load mybios, use shift (back to cartridge), then select the rescue loader.

SIDE fat32-loader does not work at all to MYIDE. Isn't there any other FAT32 loader compatible with MyIDE ? Should I put a Fat32 formatted CF to see the contents ? If yes, can I put a double IDE-CF adaptor (master & slave) to have the one as Atari formateed and the second one as FAT32 formatted and transfer .ATRs or .XEX or .COM etc ?
>Side works just fine, use Fat 32
>You can multi-partition the CF with the latest firmware.
>So a fat32 and Myide on 1 card. (If I remember correctly, card size must large enough, 1 Gb is fine).
>MyIDE does not support master/slave. Side is 3rd party-software, but don't rely on it supporting slave-cards either.

Also, the MyIDEDriveManager does not work to my PC too. So, I can't transfer any ATR to my partitions that way. Is there another way to transfer big ATRs to my CF partitions ?
>You can use the command-line in a dos-window and use the manual approach.
>The windows overlay/front-end (myidedrivemanager) does work up to windows 10.
>Read the tread for tips how to, windows and the overlay/front-end are a bit unfriendly.

Finally, can I have the latest firmware of my MYIDE ? and how can I upgrade it to the latest version ? Maybe I have an old firmware at my MyIDE + flash unit.
>See my previous post.
>Myide+1mb is superseded by the MyIDE-][ and that is the last firmware-update-recompilation I did, just for user support.

Grtz,
Sijmen.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 11:09 am 

Hi Sijmen.,
Thank you very much for your answers.
Still I have a few questions:

1. I've burned and installed the myide43i.rom (specific version for 800XL or 600XL) using 27C128 eproms. Shouldn't they work without need to enter to mybios... use shift (back to cartridge), then select the rescue loader in order to have accesible partitions through "MyDOS rescue" ?

2. You wrote me:
>You can multi-partition the CF with the latest firmware
>So a fat32 and Myide on 1 card

I've already created 6 partitions to my 1GB CF and formatted them using MyDOS 65535, so they are all Atari partitions and not FAT32. Can I format a few of them as FAT32 ? If yes, which utility should I use ? Will they be accessible via my PC then to transfer for instance .ATR games into them ?

3. Can I use another Compact Flash 1 GB (FAT32 formatted) ? and through SIDE FAT32 Loader will I be able to browse that partition without fdisk process, just using that tool ? All my big .ATRs have a lot of games inside and picodos for browsing them later.

4. When I asked for a firmware I meant about the firmware code that has to do with the atmel (?) chip inside the cartridge, not the flash menu recompilation. I have already installed your latest menu as you've suggested. Probably that flashed menu also contains firmware, right ?

P.S. You have done a great job to myide.

Thank you very much in advance

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 1:41 am 

1. I've burned and installed the myide43i.rom (specific version for 800XL or 600XL) using 27C128 eproms. Shouldn't they work without need to enter to mybios... use shift (back to cartridge), then select the rescue loader in order to have accesible partitions through "MyDOS rescue" ?
>The myide4.3i is a stand alone OS with MyIDE access build-in.
>But that is for a internal MyIDE-device, you need the "e" version, for external/cartridge device.
>So, yes, then, there is no need to load the BIOS from flash.
>Perhaps better to use the latest MyIDE/BIOS with 1mb-cartridge-support I did in 2013.
>https://www.atarimax.com/flashcart/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7346#p7346
>Called 4.8.05 -RE

2. You wrote me:
>You can multi-partition the CF with the latest firmware
>So a fat32 and Myide on 1 card

I've already created 6 partitions to my 1GB CF and formatted them using MyDOS 65535, so they are all Atari partitions and not FAT32. Can I format a few of them as FAT32 ? If yes, which utility should I use ? Will they be accessible via my PC then to transfer for instance .ATR games into them ?

>Yes, sorry, mix-up of terms, partitions, and partitions.
>The latest FDISK now called MYIDE-MENU (build into the BIOS), can create a MasterBootRecord for the PC with 2 partitions.
>1 partition for PC access, the other reserved and marked as "do not use" for MyIDE usage (where your 6 partitions are stored).
>This MBR by-pass trick is not friendly with windows 7 and up, it always ask to format this reserved area, simply say NO.
>From my head, the card is devided 50/50 rounded down to whole cylinders.
>It's been a long time since I coded and things start to fade with age...

3. Can I use another Compact Flash 1 GB (FAT32 formatted) ? and through SIDE FAT32 Loader will I be able to browse that partition without fdisk process, just using that tool ? All my big .ATRs have a lot of games inside and picodos for browsing them later.
>side is a loader that loads executable from a fat32-pc-area, it's 3rd party softeare, used with per mission, the original coder gives no support or other info.
>back in the days a great tool, but got a bucket load of shit over me by atari-age users :-(

4. When I asked for a firmware I meant about the firmware code that has to do with the atmel (?) chip inside the cartridge, not the flash menu recompilation. I have already installed your latest menu as you've suggested. Probably that flashed menu also contains firmware, right ?
>There is no update for the logic chip, sorry.

P.S. You have done a great job to myide.
>Thanks :-D

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 1:00 pm 

Hi,

I've burned the MyBIOS-RE 4.8.05 to a 27C128 Eprom and installed it to my Atari 600XL (internally upgraded with 64KB RAM).

Is that the latest internal ROM available version ?
MyBIOS-RE 4.8.0A is the version I see when I plug the cartridge.
Do you have the .rom to burn the latest version (to 27C128)?

On MyIDE I've flashed the MaxFlash+MyIDE Menu (MyBIOS-FE-FMP-20170529 plus AtariMax MyDOS 4.52 Rescue Loader ....etc), so the latest version.

However I can't make the SIDE Fat32 loader to work to the 600XL (or 800XL) neither with the original Atari ROM nor with the MaBIOS-RE 4.8.05 installed (I've formated a 256MB Compact Flash as FAT32 to my PC and transfered a few .XEX games inside).

Also, you wrote: "The latest FDISK now called MYIDE-MENU (build into the BIOS), can create a MasterBootRecord for the PC with 2 partitions".

If I keep pressed Option+Select+Start and turn on the computer, it boots to a "rainbow-colors" screen with a cursor up-left corner. Sometimes it boots to a screen with horizontal lines. How can I call the modern version of FDISK through this ?

Maybe I do something wrong. Could you advice me please ?

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 2:54 am 

4.8.05 is the latest stable version.

rainbow means, file missing / boot error, kind of memopad.

-0A is an beta, released for the 1mb+flash only.
The -FE tells you it's for Flash Externel IDE.

Perhaps you must use the Install.ATR for the -RE BIOS....?
This installs all menu's and tools on your CF-card.
I forgot to mention this.
When you boot now, the 4.8.05-RE will show MENU SIDE in RED (meaning "not installed")
Sorry, forgot, hmmm, read last part below....

Just boot this ATR and it will copy it all to a hidden space on your CF.
It includes, MYIDE-MENU, MYIDE-IMAGE, SIDE

When done, do not load the -FE, your internal BIOS will take over.

SIDE: Yes, FAT32, but it must be initialized with MyBIOS to make the needed MBR partitions.
Then run SETUP (again for this CF-card for the menus).
Then to your PC, format the first partition with FAT32, ignore the second "reserved" partition, that is for MyIDE usage.
I have no tools made in 2013 to do FAT32 only with the menu's, sorry.

I have to think hard, in principle, the -RE bios should see the 1MB and load the menus from there.
Perhaps the ID-check fails, since your cartridge says -0A and the ROM is -05.
You you have to flash the cartridge with the -FE -05 version.
Then you do not need ever to run setup, since the menus are on flash and loaded from there.....

10 years is a long long time..

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 5:45 am 

Hi,
Thank you very much for your kind support.

The good news is that now I have the correct Atari ROM installed, have flashed the MyIDE cartridge with the appropriate latest menu, so SIDE Fat-32 Loader is now working great. However sometimes it displays some strange characters into the filenames, but that's not a problem.

The only issue is that trying to format a 1GB CF with Atari partitions (with the new FDISK), I must press and hold (at the same time) Option + Select + Start. This has worked to me only once, so I've created a few partitions. Since then, I can't enter to that MYIDE-MENU again, just to rename a partition or create a new one. Is it something that I miss here ? or a key of my keyboard does not operate that fast so that combination of the 3 buttons does not work ? Could I run that new FDISK version from the DOS ?

Do you remember which program is the one that creates to a CF, a FAT and an Atari DOS partition at 50%-50% ?

Thank you very much again.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 1:48 am 

I have a check later this weekend.
No idea, the 3 keys do work, yes, 100%.
But their is (I think) also another way of entering the menu.

Also I am thinking of recompiling a new set of images for you.
So you can match the -0A BIOS with the bug-fixes, I did, but don't remember.
Then you can also tell me, what you like to have on the flash-content, to customize your cartridge.
Idea?

SIDE is what it is, I can't change it and the creator does not give further support.
The strange symbols are IDE-errors the SIDE does re-load with a retry-logic.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 4:52 am 

Hi,
As there is not much space in MyIDE+ Flash, I've only added diagnostic sofware to your latest compilation.

Here is the file I've currently flashed to my cartridge and I am using:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9i6ty5zvk92qt ... u.zip?dl=0

I would also like to have additionally, under the MyDos rescue "slot", the MyPicoDOS 4.06 from here: https://www.horus.com/~hias/atari/#mypdos (there are a lot of files inside that HIAS distribution of MyPicoDos so I don't know which file to use).

If you think that MyIDE could be more reliable by -0A BIOS version, which fixes bugs, that's great, please upgrade it and attach here the new .ATR. I will test it and will use that instead.

Also please attach the .bin file to burn it to 27C128 and install it to my XL.

Thank you again in advance.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 2:42 am 

Ok, I had a long look at my code, but now I see, that the -RE and -FE menu's are not interchangeable.

So the -RE (bios on rom) can not use the menu's from the -FE (from flash).
This means, you need to run the SETUP utility on each CF-card you need the MENU's

Than use the MYIDE-MENU to INIT this card.
If you already have done the INIT, you can skip this.

Note:
INIT reserves room for the MENU's to be stored on CF without overwriting the possible 2 MBR partitons (PC-uasage and MyIDE-usage)
If you run SETUP on a older or not 4.8 INIT card, it will overwrite 64 data sectors, starting on LBA-40
Most of the time, this does not hurt, since PC formatted cards start-datasector is LBA-256.

PicoDOS,
Just add MYPDOS.COM to your workbook.
With -RE this works directly (*), with -FE you need to boot the -FE_BIOS first, then SHIFT back to cartridge and load MYPDOS.
*) HIGH speed must be OFF to access IDE, otherwise MyPDos will bypass to SIO.

Grtz,
Sijmen.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 6:48 am 

Hi,
I've currently burned and installed the MYBIOS48RE-20130205.ROM (27C128) inside the computer and flashed the cartridge with MYBIOS-FE 4.8.0A. Could you please provide the -FE rom version for burning to a 27C128 and a new menu that contains the MYBIOS -RE to be able to see the flash partitions at first boot (due to the 27C128 ROM of the computer) and if I want to use MyPicoDos to run the MYBIOS -FE through the menu ?

Also as I cannot enter to the MYIDE MENU yet, I am not sure where I can se HIGH speed (switch?) to OFF.

(From a previous answer of yours) Is it possible that the FAT-32 formatted CF I use to develop issues ? Because sometimes it displays bad characters to this directory and other times to other. If this is a problem of the MY-IDE cartridge, which IC is responsible for "retry-logic" ? If we know that detail I could open the cartridge and replace it.

Thank you for your help

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 8:35 am 

In between notice.
I remember now, the RE version has the menu.bin 8k in the zip/download. Put that in your workbook and that should work. The menu line at boot should be green then.

My note about high speed is related to picodos.
Must be off, otherwise: no ide access.

Back later this week.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 1:08 pm 

Hi,
Thanks a lot for the info. Now my XL has MyBios-RE 4.8.05 during boot and IDE-PORT, IDE-DEVICE, MENU SIDE are all enabled.

I found how to enter MyIDE-MENU accidentally, it's the button HELP, not the combination OPTION+SELECT+START. Is that normal ?
If yes, maybe you should change that info inside MYBIOS.

Also, when I try to make partitions, I can only make four of 65535 sectors (16MB) and actually the 4rth partition is a little bit lower sized (around 55.000) I think, whatever is the size of the CF 250MB or 1GB. Why ?

Still I can't make the CF to contain both Atari and FAT32 partitions.

Also, could you please patch the Atari Commander 1.81 to work with MyIDE and browse the partitions ?
It can be found here: http://www.atari.org.pl/informacje/atar ... r-1.8/1116

Best Regards

Last edited by dir_marillion on Tue May 10, 2022 3:01 am, edited 3 times in total.

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next