It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Weird problem 8Mb Flash cart in combination with 32-in-1 OS
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 9:56 am 

Hi,

I've a weird problem when using the 8MB Flash cart in combination with the 32-in-1 OS.
I upgraded my 130XE with the 32-in-1 OS and didn't have any problems until I used the 8MB Flash cart with the Synapse image (http://www.atarimax.com/flashcart/forum/viewtopic.php?t=305)

Most programs run from the cart except for a few. (e.g. Blue Max (2001) and Fort Apocalypse). The screen stay back or their appears some garbage. The same cart runs without problems on a 256KB 800 XL and a standard 800XE. And the programs that don't work on the cart, work if I load them from disk. Programming the flash on the 130XE goes without any problems.

After some experimentation I found out that the programs that didn't work, do work if I turn the computer off and turn it on again within a second. They won't work if the off time is more than a few seconds.

Then I noticed something else. According to the 32-in-1 manual, you should come in the OS selection screen when you hold <select> while turning on the Atari. That doesn't work on my 130XE. The screen stays black then. But if I then hit <reset> while holding <select> it enters the menu. I thought that was normal but with the turn off/on solution from the flash cart in my mind I tried the same with the OS selection screen. It turned out that I can enter the screen while holding <select> only when I quickly turn off/on the computer. If it is off for more than a few seconds, the screen stays black and I have to press <reset> to enter the OS selection screen.

So I suspect the problem lies in the 32-in-1 OS hardware. Unfortunately I don't know if the flash cart worked before the upgrade. I normally use my 800XL.
And since I didn't want to cut the metal sheet, I soldered the upgrade on the board without IC socket. So I can't easily put back the original OS rom. I soldered the 32-in-1 OS without the flash and PIC chip installed so they can't be damaged while soldering.

Is there somebody out here that can test this flashcart image on a 32-in-1 OS upgraded 130XE (or other type) to see if this is a common problem?

Thanks,

Robert

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 2:15 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0

Are you using the first image posted in that thread, or the second one at the bottom?

The menu not appearing on the screen after powering up with SELECT held down is usually a wiring problem with the plug in harness, at least I'd check that first. :)

Steve

Post subject: Re: Weird problem 8Mb Flash cart in combination with 32-in-1
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 5:33 pm 

rdemming wrote:
Then I noticed something else. According to the 32-in-1 manual, you should come in the OS selection screen when you hold <select> while turning on the Atari. That doesn't work on my 130XE. The screen stays black then. But if I then hit <reset> while holding <select> it enters the menu. I thought that was normal but with the turn off/on solution from the flash cart in my mind I tried the same with the OS selection screen. It turned out that I can enter the screen while holding <select> only when I quickly turn off/on the computer. If it is off for more than a few seconds, the screen stays black and I have to press <reset> to enter the OS selection screen.

My computer does the same thing pressing select goes to a black screen and I have to press reset to get into the 32-in-1 selection screen. I've double-checked my wiring and did a continuity test on it as well. I just thought it was something weird on my machine.

I just checked, and a quick off and on, goes right into the 32-in-1 menu on my machine too, but keeping it off longer, black screen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 9:23 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0

Hmm.. sounds like a bug then. :oops:

I'll see about improving the upgrade so the reset time after power on can be adjusted with a configuration utility.

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 7:21 am 

classics wrote:
Are you using the first image posted in that thread, or the second one at the bottom?

The menu not appearing on the screen after powering up with SELECT held down is usually a wiring problem with the plug in harness, at least I'd check that first. :)

It has problems with both images in that thread. The same programs on both images have problems even when the place is different on the cart.

And yes, I've checked the wirering.
Could it be caused by the different reset circuit in a 130XE compared to a XL? An XL resets when you press the reset button while a XE resets after you release the reset button.

Robert

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]