It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: MakeMenu: some questions for starters
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:41 am 

Dear friends,

I´ve got an Atari 800 XL, SIO2PC, Warp OS 32-in-1 and a 1050 disk drive. Today I bought from Steven an 8 mbit multicart and an Atari 800 computer, which I may receive within two weeks (I am in Brazil).

I´ve got some questions concerning the multicart and MakeMenu:

1- For me to use MakeMenu, should I install Perl, Tasm and everything or just MakeMenu and the Flash Kit itself?

2- If I generate my multicart by using my Atari 800 XL and MakeMenu, will it work properly with my 800?

3- How many EXE games could I store into my 8 mbit cartrige? (an average, obviously).

Sorry about these "dumb" questions...

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:42 am 

Garrettimus,
The only answer I can answer with authority is #2. Some games/cartridges will work on the 800 and not on the XL, and vice versa. It's not something new though, I have disks with programs that work on my XL, and not my 800. I am running my 800 right now, but did go dig out my 800XL just for this reason. According to Steve's instructions, and verified by me, the Disk images will not work in an 800.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:20 pm 

idavis wrote:
Garrettimus,
The only answer I can answer with authority is #2. Some games/cartridges will work on the 800 and not on the XL, and vice versa. It's not something new though, I have disks with programs that work on my XL, and not my 800. I am running my 800 right now, but did go dig out my 800XL just for this reason. According to Steve's instructions, and verified by me, the Disk images will not work in an 800.

Thanks!

Well, with my Warp OS installed I´m able to run a lot of games in my 800 XL. In the other hand, I bought an 800 model because I think it looks great, awesome vintage design.

I hope someone can answer my other questions...

:-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:50 pm 

You will love having four joystick ports as well. Nothing like a 4 player game of M.U.L.E., Ali Baba, or Asteroids.

Post subject: Re: MakeMenu: some questions for starters
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:30 pm 

Garrettimus wrote:
1- For me to use MakeMenu, should I install Perl, Tasm and everything or just MakeMenu and the Flash Kit itself?

MakeMenu lets you choose among 2 menus. The one provided by Steven in his kit and another one provided by MakeMenu. The first one is called AtariMax menu and the other is called SuperMenu. If you choose to generate a cart with AtariMax menu, you need everything in the kit (TASM, Perl, ...). If you use SuperMenu, you need to unzip Steven's kit but that's all (Perl, TASM and other tools are not needed).

The differences between the 2 menus are :
- AtariMax menu supports games on multiple ATR images like adventure games. SuperMenu supports only "one side" ATR image.
- SuperMenu supports ROMs (8K and 16K), AtariMax menu does not.
- SuperMenu can mix ROMs, files and ATR images in a single cartridge. Using AtariMax menu, you choose to generate a cartridge full of files or ATR images but not both.
- SuperMenu supports directories so you can put games into folders. AtariMax menu does not.
- SuperMenu can mix games with OS/B and games running on XL OS. With AtariMax, you have to select OS/B or XL OS for the whole cartridge.

Garrettimus wrote:
2- If I generate my multicart by using my Atari 800 XL and MakeMenu, will it work properly with my 800?

You have to try. I never tried myself because I don't have a 800. When I programmed MakeMenu, I tried to be compatible with the 800 but I never checked that.

Garrettimus wrote:
3- How many EXE games could I store into my 8 mbit cartrige? (an average, obviously).

I would say that an average game is 16K. So you can store 1024/16 = 64 games. And if you put ROMs into the cartridges, then you can have more than 100 games in a singke cartridge. Then, using SuperMenu is recommanded to put games into folders.

Eric.
Author of MakeMenu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:02 pm 

Thanks, Eric, for your explanation!

When you say "SuperMenu supports ROMs (8K and 16K), AtariMax menu does not", you're also saying SuperMenu deals with EXE files, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:05 pm 

Garrettimus wrote:

When you say "SuperMenu supports ROMs (8K and 16K), AtariMax menu does not", you're also saying SuperMenu deals with EXE files, right?

Both menus support files. I was just listing the differences between them

Eric.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:23 pm 

ebiguy wrote:
Garrettimus wrote:

Both menus support files. I was just listing the differences between them

Eric.

Thank you, Eric! As soon as my multicart gets here, I´ll play with MakeMenu.

Take care.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]