@ Hias

That is great!

I will try it soon.

Thanks
Marius

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:16 pm 

HiassofT wrote:
Please test this new patch and drop me a line if it works or not. So far I ran only a few tests (with AtariSIO, a Speedy 1050 and with SIO2SD), but since a lot of this code is new it's possible that some errors sneaked in.

I had some problems with this new patch (using APE):

1. My program will try to load each sector from the drive, stopping at the first sector that returns an error. (so sector 721 is checked and errors out.) Subsequent reads from the disk freeze the computer.

2. Trying to send command 0x93 to APE freezes the computer (and the command never shows up in the APE command monitor either-so it looks like it is being "stopped" by the SIO patch.)

The DIAG.ATR program works fine and doesn't return any errors on my setup (using APE.) Previous versions of the SIO patch didn't exhibit these problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:10 am 

Hi Shawn!

Thanks a lot for testing and the bugreport!

Shawn Jefferson wrote:
1. My program will try to load each sector from the drive, stopping at the first sector that returns an error. (so sector 721 is checked and errors out.) Subsequent reads from the disk freeze the computer.

A week ago I ran into a similar issue, the computer freezes if the data-frame isn't received completely (actually, pressing break put the computer out of this state). It turned out to be a bug in the timeout-handling (I cleared the timer too early). Here's the updated version:

http://www.horus.com/~hias/tmp/hipatch-071011.zip

Quote:
2. Trying to send command 0x93 to APE freezes the computer (and the command never shows up in the APE command monitor either-so it looks like it is being "stopped" by the SIO patch.)

Hmmm, strange. I tried the following with my new code (and AtariSIO) and compared the results to using $E459:
- first read sector 721 of a SD disk (->ERROR $8B)
- then read sector 720 (->OK)
- then get ape time, $93 with DAUX=$A0EE (->OK)
- then read sector 720 with DBYT=129 (->ERROR $8A)

Which $93 command did you try? Could you please repeat the test with the new patch?

so long,

Hias

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:55 pm 

Hi Hais,

Quote:

Does this patch work with MyIDE 31 i&e? I was browsing through the files on the Forum and didn't see an answer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:51 pm 

roye wrote:
Does this patch work with MyIDE 31 i&e? I was browsing through the files on the Forum and didn't see an answer.

Good question, I haven't tried it myself (only 3.5 and 4.x). But basically it should work. Maybe we should ask Marius if he tried it?

OTOH: A quick test is quite easy. Just run "HIPATCH.COM" and see if it works.

so long,

Hias

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:02 am 

HiassofT wrote:
roye wrote:

Good question, I haven't tried it myself (only 3.5 and 4.x). But basically it should work. Maybe we should ask Marius if he tried it?

OTOH: A quick test is quite easy. Just run "HIPATCH.COM" and see if it works.

so long,

Hias

Hi,
It worked with MyDos, but slowed down the I/O from Ape. I just tried getting a Directory list on Mirror, and Mounted ATR.
It didn't work with SpartaDOS 33a - after the checksum failed the screen printed Installing OS.. And crashed the Atari.

But with 43i everything work OK. I didn't do much testing because APE doesn't like 33a. MyDos seemed to work very good with file transfers and reading the Directory of the APE Mirror, and ATR's.
I use 43i 90% of the time, and 31i the rest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:17 am 

Hi!
roye wrote:
It worked with MyDos, but slowed down the I/O from Ape. I just tried getting a Directory list on Mirror, and Mounted ATR.

Thanks for the info! I'll dig out a Windows PC, install APE and some tests by myself. Sounds to me like a timing problem or so.

Quote:
It didn't work with SpartaDOS 33a - after the checksum failed the screen printed Installing OS.. And crashed the Atari.

OK, the HIPATCH.COM doesn't work with SpartaDos - it nees the RAM under the OS ROM.

Quote:
But with 43i everything work OK. I didn't do much testing because APE doesn't like 33a. MyDos seemed to work very good with file transfers and reading the Directory of the APE Mirror, and ATR's.

Did you use the same version (from yesterday) for both your 4.3 OS and 3.1 OS tests?

so long,

Hias

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:46 pm 

Hi Hais,

I used the 071011.zip file post recently on this thread. MyDOS is now reading and writeing slower to APE mirror and ATR's with 43i rom :oops:

Quote:
I rewrote large parts of my highspeed SIO patch (a thing I wanted to do for a long time, it was based on some old code I got from ABBUC), and now it seems to work both with TurboDos and SpartaDos 3.3a!

Just hoping that this will work with SpartaDos 3.3a.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:32 pm 

Hi!
roye wrote:
I used the 071011.zip file post recently on this thread. MyDOS is now reading and writeing slower to APE mirror and ATR's with 43i rom :oops:

Strange. I did several tests with the trial version of APE (3.0.2) on a 1GHz P3 running WinXP Pro and it worked fine. I tried both a PAL and an NTSC Atari - no difference. BTW: I used a serial SIO2PC with command on RI line.

What's your setup, did you change some settings in APE?

Could you try the "diag.atr" from the ZIP file on your Atari? You have to load a DD ATR file (sorry made a mistake in the last snapshot, usually you'd load a SD ATR file) into D2:, boot the Atari and then press any key to start the test (it reads sectors 4-720 in a loop forever). If the diag.atr outputs something (i.e. if it encounters an error), please write the numbers down (the first, long, line is the SIO command, then there's some information about where and what kind of error occured).

Quote:
Just hoping that this will work with SpartaDos 3.3a.

It should work fine when burned into an eprom (I already tried this with 4.3i).

so long,

Hias

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:57 pm 

Hi,

Quote:
What's your setup, did you change some settings in APE?

Yes I did not have the RI line and also I am useing the USB interface. With the newest diag.atr I get no action on the screen at all.
But with the older Diag.atr, I get a line like this.. MYIDE 43I.ROM
31 02 52 8A 4F 24 07 00 80 00 01 00
00 8A 00
AND with MYIDE 43I HI.ROM I get a line like this..
31 02 52 8F 47 24 07 00 80 00 04 00
01 8F 0B

APE cycles Device 32 contuniously, but still nothing on the Atari with the new Diag.atr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:55 pm 

Hi Roy, thanks for your information!

roye wrote:
Yes I did not have the RI line and also I am useing the USB interface.

Ah, OK. What SIO speed setting (speed byte/baud rate) do you use? Everything below speed 5-6 (more than ~70kbps) can be problematic.

Quote:
With the newest diag.atr I get no action on the screen at all.

If you hear the SIO beeps, that's fine (the diag only prints something if it encounteres a problem).

Quote:
But with the older Diag.atr, I get a line like this.. MYIDE 43I.ROM
31 02 52 8A 4F 24 07 00 80 00 01 00
00 8A 00

If it's just this 2 lines, it's fine. It means it got a timeout when first sending the command frame (the last byte is the error, $8A = 138 = timeout). This is normal because SIO devices need to detect the transmission speed. Once APE got the speed, it should stay at it (unless there are errors, of course).

Quote:
AND with MYIDE 43I HI.ROM I get a line like this..
31 02 52 8F 47 24 07 00 80 00 04 00
01 8F 0B

This is not OK. $8F means a checksum error. Usually, because there was a transmission error (interference etc.).

Could you please try changing the SIO speed in APE and test with the newest diag.atr which speeds work fine? At least speed byte 8 (~60kbps) should work rock-solid. 6 works on most setups if you don't have too many devices in your SIO-chain, 4 and 5 often require removing the caps from the SIO data in/out lines to ground inside the Atari, and 3 did never work reliable for me (I guess it would require a special SIO routine with a very short VBI and minimal display DMA - nothing for real-world applications).

BTW: The new patch falls back to standard speed if an error occurrs. The older patch stayed at high speed. So it could be that you were also experiencing occasional transmission errors and re-transmissions with the old patch but didn't notice them because the patch stayed at high speed (just a guess).

so long,

Hias

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:37 am 

Hi Hias,
Everything is working better now. I think it is the USB causing part of the slow down. I change back to the Com Port interface, and all tests have a better effect on the SIO chain. The new Diag.atr doesn't show any errors and the APE logging is much faster.

Can the new patchrom.exe be patched over the original HI43i.rom, or should I patch the original MyIDE431.rom.

Thanks for the help, :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:17 am 

Hi Roy!
roye wrote:
Everything is working better now. I think it is the USB causing part of the slow down. I change back to the Com Port interface, and all tests have a better effect on the SIO chain. The new Diag.atr doesn't show any errors and the APE logging is much faster.

Great!

Just for curiosity: How did the SIO beeps sound with the USB interface, compared to the serial interface? Were they at high (fast SIO) pitch, followed by a pause (the pause would be the delay of the USB interface), or did you hear a fallback to the lower (standard SIO) pitch (this would be due to a transmission error)? Also, did you hear some "farts" (retransmission of the command frame)?

BTW: In case of a speed-fallback you should get double entries in the APE log. For example, if you list the directory only a few sectors are read and you can easily verify this by hand (lines like device=$32, command=$52 aux1=$68 aux2=$01, and immediately after that the same line again).

Quote:
Can the new patchrom.exe be patched over the original HI43i.rom, or should I patch the original MyIDE431.rom.

You have to use the original ROM. If you use a patched ROM image you'll get an error message telling you that the ROM was already patched.

Quote:
Thanks for the help, :D

You are welcome!

so long,

Hias

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:51 am 

Hi Hias,

Quote:
Great!

Just for curiosity: How did the SIO beeps sound with the USB interface, compared to the serial interface? Were they at high (fast SIO) pitch, followed by a pause (the pause would be the delay of the USB interface), or did you hear a fallback to the lower (standard SIO) pitch (this would be due to a transmission error)? Also, did you hear some "farts" (retransmission of the command frame)?

Serial SIO beeps are steady and seems to be faster than the USB interface, with fewer pauses. No farts with the serial, but not like I it was with the USB. Running programs or copying files with a different OS runs and sounds like normal SIO.

Quote:
BTW: In case of a speed-fallback you should get double entries in the APE log. For example, if you list the directory only a few sectors are read and you can easily verify this by hand (lines like device=$32, command=$52 aux1=$68 aux2=$01, and immediately after that the same line again).

With a speed setting of 6 I no longer get the double entries in the APE log.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:36 pm 

Hi Roy!

roye wrote:
Serial SIO beeps are steady and seems to be faster than the USB interface, with fewer pauses. No farts with the serial, but not like I it was with the USB. Running programs or copying files with a different OS runs and sounds like normal SIO.

Hmmm, strange. So, basically speaking, my older patch (from 2006) and/or other highspeed SIO capable OSes run more smoothely than the newer patch?

Currently I don't know what could be going wrong here. I tired increasing the length of the trailing /COMMAND signal (after the last byte of the SIO command frame), but noticed that this causes troubles with the SIO2SD. OTOH, this signal should already be a bit longer (at least, sometimes) since I now use the OS SETVBV call to set the timer1 timeout routine. Maybe it's too long (sometimes) for the USB interface?

I'd suggest we move over to the SIO2PC forum and ask Steve for a little help. I guess he knows the USB interface the best :-) I'd be glad to help you with this.

Quote:
With a speed setting of 6 I no longer get the double entries in the APE log.

OK, this could be due to interference at higher speeds. Just tested diag.atr again with SIO2SD at speed 4 and it ran smoothely.

so long,

Hias

Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next