It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Wizard of Wor - Joystick Port 2?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:26 am 

Hi!

Have ya noticed that all of the versions of Wizard of Wor use joystick port #2? Why do ya suppose that is? Seems like an odd bit o' programming.
You push the button on joystick 1 to begin the game, but then you have to be in port 2 to move or fire. How odd is that...

I've never owned the original cartridge, so I don't know if the original version uses port 2.
But I do know that even the copy on Sunmark's Multicart #1 uses port 2.

Has anyone happen to have an .exe .com or .xex version of Wizard of Wor that actually uses joystick port #1, instead of 2?

Thanks,
Randy

Post subject: Re: Wizard of Wor - Joystick Port 2?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:11 pm 

Atari Smeghead wrote:
Hi!

Have ya noticed that all of the versions of Wizard of Wor use joystick port #2? Why do ya suppose that is? Seems like an odd bit o' programming.
You push the button on joystick 1 to begin the game, but then you have to be in port 2 to move or fire. How odd is that...

I've never owned the original cartridge, so I don't know if the original version uses port 2.
But I do know that even the copy on Sunmark's Multicart #1 uses port 2.

Has anyone happen to have an .exe .com or .xex version of Wizard of Wor that actually uses joystick port #1, instead of 2?

Thanks,
Randy

I don't understand what to do in this game. I always loose. Anyway, I inverted port 1 and 2. Could you try if it's OK because I didn't change trigge (only direction) ?

Eric

There are images and/or files attached to this posting. You must be logged-in to view or download this content.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:46 pm 

ebiguy wrote:
Anyway, I inverted port 1 and 2. Could you try if it's OK because I didn't change trigge (only direction) ?

Eric

Eric,

You've made progress! :D Now, the player movement uses port one but the fire button is still port 2. Do you think it'll be much of a hassle to get the triggers switched?

Thanks for the quick response,
Randy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:06 am 

Anyone have this fixed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:03 am 
ERROR AT LINE 0

Give this one a try.

There are images and/or files attached to this posting. You must be logged-in to view or download this content.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:46 pm 

Atari Smeghead wrote:

If I remember right, the arcade version has two joysticks on either side of the cab. The yellow guy is to the right, and the blue guy is to the left. Player One is the yellow guy on the right side. I suppose this is because people preferred it in testing or it worked better for right-handed people or something when they were playing it solo.

Why they would translate this for the Atari 8-bit I have no idea, because the joysticks have long wires and you're not crowded in front of a cab at the same time someone else is. I get that they wanted to be true to the arcade when making the game, but that was sort of a goofy thing to put in, heh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:26 am 

Maybe reading the manual helps making things more clear :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:50 pm 

Funny that a game so simple would even warrant a manual. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:56 pm 

I wonder if it had something to do with the way the joystick ports are setup on the 800? Port 1 will be on the left, and port 2 on the right. The player 1 character starts on the right side of the screen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:15 pm 

rdemming wrote:
Maybe reading the manual helps making things more clear :P

Elaborate? All it says is what we already know. 1 player uses port 2. Very annoying--hence the hack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:13 am 

TjLaZer wrote:
Elaborate? All it says is what we already know.

Maybe because someone wrote: "I don't understand what to do in this game. I always loose."
I remembered that the website I pointed to, has lots of manuals so I mentioned it. But since I didn't play the game or read the manual, I'm not sure if it actually is helpful.

About the strange joystick port usage. As far as I remember there seemed no standard game port on Commodore 64 games with some games using port 0 and other games port 1. When we played with my cousin's C64 about 20 years ago, we often had to switch joystick ports.

Robert

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ]