It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:10 am

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:12 pm 

Steve - It was in the device manager under disk drives in WINXP. There is nothing on the module itself.

But there is success. I am not sure what did it, but after changing the CPU to the Mexico version and using a SanDisk Ultra II 2gig. It works 99.9% of the time. I have it booting to a 16Meg partition. I haven't swapped the CPU's back to see if it was a factor, but using the Transcend module or the 2 other CF cards, still didn't work.

Now a couple questions...

1. How long does it take to cold boot to MYDOS? It's taking me 15-20 seconds. Would it help it if was not a 16M partition and had it boot from SD 720 partition?

2. Is it normal to get a couple boot errors before it 'catches' and boots?

I will post my findings in the compatibility post when I get a chance and confirm what I have found. I also want to try the CF cards in the ide2cf adapters that are in the mail. Although there doesn't look like there is alot to them I want to be sure before I post.

I just wished the transcend module worked. It made it a very compact upgrade.

Thanks for all the help everyone!!!

Todd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:40 am 

Hi Todd,

It should take 1-2 seconds to boot, and there should not be any 'boot-error'.

I just re-tested some CF, drives and modules on my PAL 130XE/320k. (It has the NCR-cpu).
Only the transcend module (128Mb, 982C,8H,32S) give 1 out of 10 a wrong auto-detect.
But never has problems during normal use.
I can read/write repeatedly without dataloss or errors.

I found a 64Mb CF card that didn't boot anymore. But was accesable with MyDOS451.
(it had the same booting behaviour you discribed)
Tapping the "D" with shift-control during boot bypassed the IDE-boot let me use APE on D1:
Writing new DOS files gave a error (typical mydos bug I guess), I deleted the .SYS files manualy
and again wrote new DOS files to this disk (now without error).
Rebooted the system and it worked again. Also 1 second boot, no errors, data still present on the card.

Cheers,
Sijmen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:09 am 

I spoke to soon. It's corrupting data. Creating partitions on it's own and moving stuff around.

Something isn't right.

The testing goes on!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:07 am 
ERROR AT LINE 0

Did you try connecting directly to the CPU?

Could be a bad GAL, they sometimes act strangely if damaged by static.

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:54 pm 

Quote:
Did you try connecting directly to the CPU?

Yes, I did try connecting it straight to the cpu, but it didn't work at all. It messed up the video. When I connected the yellow wire to O2, it's hard to explain, The video went to what looked like double size, but didn't look like letters. The video sync held, the letters looked like hyroglyphics. I tried moving it to other timing pins (O1 etc) and mostly it would just lock up.

Quote:
Could be a bad GAL, they sometimes act strangely if damaged by static.

I am ESD safe. Static mat and wrist strap. I am an electronic technician and spend alot of time soldering and esd grounded. Those practices follow me home.

One other symptom that arose last night was while in Fdisk, it would just exit all by itself. I would get the ready prompt right in the middle of the Fdisk text. It happens about 1-2 seconds when I get into fdisk

Last night while swapping things around and trying things I did break off one of the gold pins. It was pin 26. It got caught in one of the wire harness wires. I did get it soldered back on and put the rescue jumper on and tested it. It was a good repair, but assume the warranty is now voided :cry:

While looking at the board, it looks like the red wire on the bottom that runs from yellow wire of the 4 pin header goes to the PALCE16v8h-10 chip. I am assuming this was a mod after board production.

What is the correct connection of this wire?

It also looked that either a trace was cut between the 2 inner pins of the 4 pin header or someone corrected a solder bridge.

Are these 2 pins supposed to be connected?

Does anyone have a detailed picture of the bottom of the board?

Thanks,

Todd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:30 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0

There shouldn't be a red wire on the bottom. I think you may have a module I was experimenting with and accidentally shipped to you as a new product.

Please e-mail me at classics@atarimax.com and I will arrange to exchange it for you.

Thanks

Steve

Post subject: Re: Internal IDE problems.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:00 am 

I must say, that now I am having pretty much the same problems as you are. Steve fixed my other problems, but like you now - I can't get any data to stay in fdisk. The Auto never gives the right parms so I have to use Manual, but it seems to never stick.
Maybe it's just a case of finding a compatible (maybe old?) drive? Like a 200 megger or something. I dunno, but I'll be following this thread. When I do the fdisk, I do get the pretty border and you can hear the drive being read, so it seems like it IS talking to the drive (a WD800BB). I think the Shift-Cntrl-R problem you are seeing applies to me as well. I get a little flash on the screen, but it doesn't seem to load anything. DOS just gives me the 160 error whe I try to look at D2:.
Oh, and like you, when I use the original ROM (or the jumper) the 130xe works fine, as does all the SIO2PC stuff.

:)
-Al

kaos116 wrote:
Hello - I am having some issues setting up The internal MYide. Most of the time it will reboot every 1-2 seconds. Everyonce in a while I will get the 'ready' prompt. I'll type 'bye' and get into fdisk. I init it manually, because auto will either lock up or give me the wrong information. I'll exit and save, then it will go into it's reboot phase. Once or twice I have seen 'boot error' repeated untill I hard rest the machine. When I do get back into fdisk, the information is gone or has been changed to something else. I am using a Transcend 512M flash ide. It also doesn't appear that any of the keystrokes work. When I have sio2pc hooked up, I get a message in the sio2pc window that ultra speed is not in the demo version. Or the middle led on the sio2pc flashes very fast. like it's flickering.

Here is what I tried.

the transcend module works in a WINXP machine, formatted to 'fat'

The transcend cyl/sec/heads confirmed in WINXP against the data sheet. SO, I am using the correct manual settings.

the 130xe works fine with the old rom chip in, including the keyboard.

sio2pc work fine with old rom in.

all soldering and connection check/rechecked and checked again (iaw with the errata)

held the option (or was it select?) key to delay the boot allowing the transcend to 'boot'

Anyone have any ideas?

Does the internal need the 'full' version of sio2pc software to work?

Why won't it save the information?

What's up with the endless reboot?

Thanks,
Todd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:30 pm 

Hi Al,

FDISK does a read try on possible sectors, heads and cylinders.
Also in this order. When it encounters a read error, it asumes the max number is reached.
I can not read the config-table directly, since that is 16 bit.....

Read errors are not only IDE-interface related. The problem lies in the Atari it self.
And it indicates that the IDE-device in use is not compatible with your setup.
Timing of signals on IDE-devices is delicate and the Atari in this aspect isn't.
Unfortunately we can not chance the A8-hardware anymore :-(

I haven't had good results with WD drives. Quantum are better in this aspect.
Also I have very good results with 2.5" (laptop) HD drives (that also only use 5 volt).

Cheers,
Sijmen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:23 pm 

Thanx for your input, Mr. A!

I actually just dug up 2 pretty old drives that I'll try when I get home tonight. One is a 250MB and the other is a 210MB. Unfortuneately, they are both WD. Worth a try I guess. I do have a Hitachi 60gB laptop drive but I need to find 5v somewhere in the Atari to hook it up. Maybe the on/off switch? Do you think that the 5v drives produce less of a problem?

Thank you!
-Al

mr-atari wrote:
Hi Al,

Also in this order. When it encounters a read error, it asumes the max number is reached.

Read errors are not only IDE-interface related. The problem lies in the Atari it self.
Timing of signals on IDE-devices is delicate and the Atari in this aspect isn't.

Also I have very good results with 2.5" (laptop) HD drives (that also only use 5 volt).

Cheers,
Sijmen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:09 pm 

Not to stray to far from the thread, but what is the problem with the Atari timing? Is it with the CPU? If so, is there a 'modern' day CPU that would fix this? I have done searches for 65c02 and there only appears to be one company still manufacturing them.

http://www.westerndesigncenter.com/wdc/w65c02s-chip.cfm

Or is there some other timing issue that is not as easy to fix as swapping out the CPU?

Todd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:15 pm 

Just to follow up on this issue I've been having...

I sent everything to Steve to have a look. He found that it was a bad cpu (Mexican). He replaced it and all is working perfectly now!

Steve, you're the man, man!

-Al

aabate58 wrote:
Thanx for your input, Mr. A!

I actually just dug up 2 pretty old drives that I'll try when I get home tonight. One is a 250MB and the other is a 210MB. Unfortuneately, they are both WD. Worth a try I guess. I do have a Hitachi 60gB laptop drive but I need to find 5v somewhere in the Atari to hook it up. Maybe the on/off switch? Do you think that the 5v drives produce less of a problem?

Thank you!
-Al

mr-atari wrote:
Hi Al,

Cheers,
Sijmen.

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2