It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Problems with AtariMax's Software Archives
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 7:35 pm 

Have any of you noticed that the links to AtariMax's EXE/COM/XEX files are severely compromised?

Check it out...

http://www.atarimax.com/flashcart/docum ... pter9.html

For instance, the first one, Jellystone Park, has lots of "Page can not be found" missing links... some files are there, some are not (try Seawolf2.exe for example). Also, the "S-Z" section ends abruptly at Space Ace.

The second one, Nostalgia.pl is gone completely.

The third one, Jacques, is the only one that's perfectly fine.

The fourth one, "Yet another..." also can not be found.

I don't mean to sound ungrateful, since I do appreciate all the hard work put forth in giving us access to these files. But it's getting increasingly frustrating for me, since I've literally spent the past two weekends attempting to create multicarts for my personal enjoyment. And I keep running into "file not found" and "site not found". I'm just happy that Jacques's site is working fine.

Does anyone have any additional links to ANY Atari ROM sites? Any help would be ever-so-cool!

Thanks,
Randy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 9:42 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0

I havent been able to find any new ones lately to replace the broken links.

I think people who put up the archives have to deal with a lot of visitors who decide they want to suck down the whole site and it ends up killing them bandwidth wise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:05 pm 

I would also recommend getting more familar with newgroups for your binary needs in the future. Like Steve mentioned bandwidth is expensive so just about the only place to get reliable disk and cd images for classic gaming are the binary newsgroups.

I have over 500mb of Atari 8bit stuff that I culled from the newsgroups, I'll never be able to go through all the games, apps, demos, magazine disks, etc. in my lifetime but it's nice to have it handy. I find most of my gaming stuff at the alt.binaries.emulators.misc group and they are very friendly handling requests.

Here's a handy guide to newsgroups: http://www.slyck.com/ng.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:40 pm 

Thank you for the response! I never got into the Newsgroups, so I'll use this as a starting point.

I hate showing my ignorance, but honestly, I don't really understand the whole bandwidth issue. It doesn't have anything to do with too many people downloading at the same time, does it? Doesn't seem like there'd be a lot of people with interest in 8 Bit programs. Coupled with the fact that the files are all tiny, so my average DL time is, like, 2 seconds.

Is it just the fact of having space on a server for all those files to be available at once, is that what you guys mean?

Thanks again!
Randy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:21 am 

Both hosting all the files and actual bandwidth are pretty expensive these days now that the internet boom is over and ad and referral revenues have dried up. So even having tiny 32k Atari files add up over the month because there's thousands of kiddies and emulator fans who download complete sets of several thousand games even though they don't need them. It's just part of the scene.

Speaking of downloading, I ran into another archive of .exe files, you can access the games by selecting the first letter of the game in the menu bar:

http://atrom2.w.interia.pl/strona.htm

this is from: http://WWW.ATARI.FOREVER.PRV.PL/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:06 am 

Sorry it's taken so long to get back. I can only find time for my Atari hobby occasionally.

Thanks for all the help, and thanks for the link. I think I only have one cart left to fill (unless I buy more, after I eBay some stuff).

Randy

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]