It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Maxflash Cartridge Burn-In/Diagnostic Package
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:40 am 
ERROR AT LINE 0

This bootable ATR contains a number of tests and utility functions to help test the functionality of flash cartridges.

You should boot this disk with your cartridge already inserted into the Atari computer. If your cartridge is programmed with software, hold down OPTION to bypass the cartridge code and boot the diagnostic software.

The menu:

0) Create Test Cartridge
1) Cartridge ON/OFF Test
2) Rapid Bankswitch Test (*)
3) Repeated Bankswitch Test (*)
4) Extended Read Test (*)
5) Write Cycle Test
6) RAM Test
7) Erase Cartridge

(*) = Test requires 'test cartridge'. Performing these tests without a programmed test cartridge will result in 100% failure in results.

All the 'test' options are burn-in style. They will run in a loop forever until you abort testing.

(0) Create test cartridge.

This option will erase your flash cartridge and install testing data into all the banks. This is required to run many of the tests.

(1) Cartridge ON/OFF Test

This will test the read/write logic of the PLD that turns the cartridge on and off in the Atari memory map.

(2) Rapid Bank switch Test [REQUIRES TEST CARTRIDGE]

This will test the read/switch/read/switch mechanism at maximum speed to find any errors not normally found in code that doesnt use the cartridge at top speed.

(3) Repeated bank switch Test

This test is the same as #2 except multiple attempts are made to reach each bank in the cartridge. If test 3 is OK but test 2 fails, the bank switch PLD is defective and the cartridge should be exchanged.

(4) Extended read test.

This test performs repeated maximum speed reads across the entire cartridge memory area and checks for integrity of the data read.

(5) Write cycle test.

This test performs repeated write operations on the cartridge.

(6) RAM test.

This test will excercise the 32k RAM window in the computers main memory that is used by the flashing software. This does not test the cartridge, it tests the main RAM in the Atari computer.

(7) Erase cartridge

This option will erase a cartridge without attempting to reprogram it afterwards.

There are images and/or files attached to this posting. You must be logged-in to view or download this content.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:18 pm 

Ok, so if these tests run in a loop forever until they are aborted, then how do you know when they have run long enough? so far I've been doing the tests that don't require the cartridge to be programmed, becuase of course, when I try to program it with the test program it fails like everything else.

Edit: Ok, I've run all the tests that don't require the test cartridge, including the erase option #7. The erase, as usual, was successful and the other programs I let run for about 30 minutes for one and 5 apiece for the others, with no results as far as I can tell, or at least no indication of failure, but did I let them run long enough? Am I supposed to let the string values displayed max out? I then tried to program the test cartridge twice, and both times I got the same result as always; a verify failure at 3F/7F and subsequent program failure. It seems to me that it worked fine once, the first time I programmed it with Ultima IV and then after erasing and attempting to reprogram, this area 3F/7F at least has permanently failed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:57 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0

Please e-mail me at classics@atarimax.com to arrange an exchange on the cartridge.

Thanks

Steve

Post subject: Tester problem
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 7:04 pm 

I recently acquired two 1mb and one 8mb carts. The 1 mb carts worked without a hitch (MULE and SDX 4.41, for now).

The 8mb refused to boot; after a few tries on two different 800xls (and two different power supplies) I managed to boot - but I'm always getting a FLASH error at 00/7F - even when trying to write the test image.

What's the next step in diagnostics?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 8:18 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0

If it will erase but you can't write the test image it sounds like one of the flash chips may have failed.

You should return the cartridge to me for a free repair or replacement. I will send you a PM with the return details.

Steve

Post subject: the flash that doesn't
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:42 pm 

I wonder if you read my emails yet. 8mb flash cart brand new and wont work at all. flash image and all it wants to do is nothing.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]