It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:13 am

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: Screen shots and Manuals
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:49 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0

The CV Ultimate SD menu software includes a built in manual and screen shot viewer.

If you have screen shots and manuals you would like to share feel free to post them here.

Manuals are ASCII text (.txt). The Colecovision screen is only 32 character wide, so format your text to that width for easier reading. :)

Images / Screenshots are PatCol (.pc) format. PatCol is produced by CV Paint 2.

The Colecovision has a fixed color palette of 16 colors, with additional restrictions on how many colors can be displayed per tile line. If you take a screenshot from an emulator in the correct resolution, CV Paint will convert it perfectly. Not all emulators save screenshots in the native CV resolution.

You can convert the screenshot by copying it to the clipboard and then clicking 'from clipboard' in CV Paint. Then click 'Save As' and select 'PatCol' format.

Non-screenshot images can be converted but due to the VDP color restrictions you may not get great results. If anything it should enhance your appreciation of how much trouble CV game authors go to in order to make their games look great. :)

There are images and/or files attached to this posting. You must be logged-in to view or download this content.

Post subject: Re: Screen shots and Manuals
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:53 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0

Screen shot and manual for 2010.

There are images and/or files attached to this posting. You must be logged-in to view or download this content.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:55 am 

To All,

Been hard at work the last couple weeks organizing my AtariMax Ultimate SD Card and I wanted to share my efforts with the rest of you owners as well. Before I explain what is included, I want to first thank Retrollucid for making available his boxart pictures in SD Cart format and, dare I mention him, David Harley for making available his collections of properly formatted screenshots and text files... these were a huge time saver. NOTE that the archive does not contain ANY ROMS, you will have to supply those yourself!

I have set my SD card up with the following structure:

Games A-C\2010: The Graphic Action Game\

and in the directory I have 3 picture files for Boxart, Title Screen and Ingame Screen named Artwork-000.pc, Artwork-001.pc, and Artwork-002.pc and 1 doc file name Instructions.txt.

You will see when you open up the archive if the above is confusing. Also, as I don't own all the latest homebrews, I had to grab pics off the web and resive them... I think they turned out pretty good, but you can be the judge.

Included in the archive are: 114 Boxart pics, 247 Title Screen pics, 247 Ingame pics, 118 instruction text files and a Missing List.

The Missing List does not take into account if a cartridge was officially released with a box or not, just whether there is a boxart picture file included in the archive or not. Also note that some homebrew games have built-in instructions so an instruction file is not necessary.

I will be hard at work trying to add more instruction files as well as Cheat/Easter Egg files and I still have to go through a large number of demo and utility roms that I have yet to add.

I hope you all enjoy this and look forward to seeing others handy work or better yet filling in some of the missing items!

Jim/NIAD

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:55 pm 

Thanks Niad,

I set my cartridge up yesterday and used your screenshot/manual and as you can imagine it saved me a lot of time. So thanks a lot for your hard work, it's really appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:33 pm 

My pleasure. :D

I set mine up a little differently from what Steve has laid out as I find it easier to have all the files for a particular game (rom, boxart, title screen, ingame screen and text manual) all grouped together in the same directory.

All depends on how each individual likes to layout their files as the leypad shortcuts 1,3, and 7 for displaying their respective files works well too except in the instance were you have multiple pics or text files for a respective game (ie: I'm working on Easter Egg/Cheat files for the games now so that would mean 2 text files... the manual and the easter eggs/cheats) unless of course there are further options that Steve hasn't made known yet in the documentation for the cart.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:08 pm 

Thank you NIAD! you really helped me out with that! :D

Post subject: Re: Screen shots and Manuals and Boxes?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:04 pm 

I'm having problems with the \Coleco\Boxes feature (key 7). The console just beeps but does not display any *.pc-file.
-> No error message.
-> *.pc-file with proper name copied to \Coleco\Boxes.
-> Manuals and Images are working fine.
Anything else I need to know?
Thanks. :D

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:52 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0

Apparently I never uploaded the last test firmware that enables this.

I have attached it to this message. I also rebuilt them today and re-tested them here to make sure there were no problems. Please change back to your current firmware from the distribution directory on your SD card if you encounter any problems.

First upgrade the core_firmware.bin as detailed here:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=974

Update only the core_firmware.bin. There is no update needed for the boot rom.

Then copy the new cvsdos.sto file to your \Coleco directory, overwriting the old one. Both the narrow and wide display versions are enclosed, pick which ever works best for your display.

If both updates were applied correctly, when pressing '*' at the main display, you should see versions 060402011 for both the core firmware and menu software.

After updating the firmware and then putting the new menu software on your card, you should be able to get box art automatically by pressing '7' when a rom image is highlighted.

Please let me know if you run into any problems. :-)

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:40 am 

I just did all the manuals and images myself from: http://www.beeslife.com/colecovision/colecovision.php
I'll have to go through this to see if I missed any.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:27 pm 

Hi Steve, sorry for not responding such a long time. Had a severe problem in my family and retro gaming had no priority.
I had to run through the updating procedure two times. After the first run I had some IPC load error and a weird file path on screen. :?: Did it again. Now it's perfect. No problems. :D
Thank you!
Rolo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:03 pm 

classics wrote:
Apparently I never uploaded the last test firmware that enables this.

I have attached it to this message. I also rebuilt them today and re-tested them here to make sure there were no problems. Please change back to your current firmware from the distribution directory on your SD card if you encounter any problems.

First upgrade the core_firmware.bin as detailed here:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=974

Update only the core_firmware.bin. There is no update needed for the boot rom.

Then copy the new cvsdos.sto file to your \Coleco directory, overwriting the old one. Both the narrow and wide display versions are enclosed, pick which ever works best for your display.

If both updates were applied correctly, when pressing '*' at the main display, you should see versions 060402011 for both the core firmware and menu software.

After updating the firmware and then putting the new menu software on your card, you should be able to get box art automatically by pressing '7' when a rom image is highlighted.

Please let me know if you run into any problems. :-)

Steve

Hi Steve,
I just recently received your Ultimate SD Cart as a gift from my wife. :P I am loving it!

I have set up the boxart folder as instructed in the directory named 'coleco/boxes'. The file has the same name as the rom with the extension 'pc', but I am not able to access it using the 7 button feature.

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,
Tom

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:42 am 

I was having the same problem. I upgraded firmware and cvdos files as described above and all works well.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:47 am 

I am running into a different problem. I can link and display box art and manuals, but no matter which cvsdos.sto version I install (narrow or wide), it only displays in 30 character mode, which makes the manuals formatted for 32 character display run onto the next line. I have the latest firmware installed. Any ideas?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:02 am 

Ok. I figured it out. I just went back to the older version of the menu software and it is displaying fine. I wonder if both the narrow and wide versions of the latest menu software above are both the narrow versions?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:40 pm 

So do I need to rename the pictures and manuals to match the ROM file names and then relocate them to the Images and Manuals folders? I'm confused?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ]