It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Spartados X 4.45 with Maxflash 8Mb
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:02 pm 

Hi Steve,

I am planning to order 8Mb flash cart from you, but I wanted to see if I can create a workbook first, so I downloaded the Maxflash Studio from the website but I am unable to load any Spartados X version (I actually want v4.45) into the workbook.

I am getting a "Error loading file "SDX445_maxflash8.rom" for slot #1, Unable to identify file: \Users\Ray\Desktop\ATARI\Boot Images\SDX445_maxflash8.rom Not a known or supported image." error.

The rom file is from the official SpartadosX distribution archive.

I was wondering if I needed a newer version of the Maxflash Studio, or an updated signature file for it.

Appreciate your input.
Ray

Post subject: Re: Spartados X 4.45 with Maxflash 8Mb
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:14 am 
ERROR AT LINE 0

Hi Ray,

The 8mbit flash version of SDX consumes the entire cart, you will not be able to place it in a workbook.

Use the Cartridge -> Program -> 8mbit Flash Cartridge menu item, then select the source image for the cart (should be your 8mbit SDX image), then it will erase and program the cart with that.

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:19 am 

So please correct me if I am wrong with the following:

- I will either need to purchase the flash programmer with the cart and use Maxflash Studio the way you described it, or use SDX445_maxflash8.atr through SIO2PC to program the cart.

- I will not be able to load anything else on that cart.

- I will need to remove the 8Mb SDX Maxflash cart to be able to use BASIC XE or MAC/65 on a 800XL or 65/130XE.

One thing I am not too clear about is the fact that Maxflash Studio also rejects a 1Mb image of SDX as "Unknown or unsupported". Is that because a SDX445_maxflash1.rom file is not compatible with a 8Mb Maxflash cart, and is also too big (128KB) for 1Mb Maxflash cart.

Sorry for all those questions but I am a newbie when it comes to cartridges. Thank you very much for your time.
Ray

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:34 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0

RayNA wrote:
So please correct me if I am wrong with the following:

- I will either need to purchase the flash programmer with the cart and use Maxflash Studio the way you described it, or use SDX445_maxflash8.atr through SIO2PC to program the cart.

Yes, you will need to either use the USB programmer to program the cart, or program it in-system via SIO2PC.

RayNA wrote:
- I will not be able to load anything else on that cart.

Spartados X is a large bank-switched program that uses all the resources of the cart. If you use a program designed to use the whole space of the bank switched cart, then no, you will not be able to fit other things on it.

RayNA wrote:
- I will need to remove the 8Mb SDX Maxflash cart to be able to use BASIC XE or MAC/65 on a 800XL or 65/130XE.

Since it does not have a pass-thru connector, yes.

RayNA wrote:
One thing I am not too clear about is the fact that Maxflash Studio also rejects a 1Mb image of SDX as "Unknown or unsupported". Is that because a SDX445_maxflash1.rom file is not compatible with a 8Mb Maxflash cart, and is also too big (128KB) for 1Mb Maxflash cart.

Spartados X is not an Atari executable or disk image. It is a bank switched cartridge that was designed to run on its own cartridge with its own bank switching hardware. More recent adaptations have modified it to run on other bank switching hardware, but it still expects to be in control of the cart.

The 1mbit version is similar to the 8mbit version in that it expects to occupy a whole 1mbit flash cartridge, you can't just place it somewhere within a larger cartridge with alien bank switching hardware and have it work. For that image, you need a dedicated 1mbit flash cartridge.

I have a hacked version of the 1mbit image that is combined with various other bank switched carts into one 8mbit image, but again, its a 'whole cart' image, you would have to dedicate a whole 8mbit flash cart to running it. If you would like a copy of that I can attach it to this post.

Thanks,

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:36 pm 

"I have a hacked version of the 1mbit image that is combined with various other bank switched carts into one 8mbit image, but again, its a 'whole cart' image, you would have to dedicate a whole 8mbit flash cart to running it. If you would like a copy of that I can attach it to this post."

That would be great, I am not sure what's in that image but I just need to be able to have SDX + MAC/65 without having to switch carts (it would be really nice If I can have BASIC XE in that cart too but if that's too much to ask that's ok too).

Ray

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:48 pm 

Hi Steve are you going to post that image?
Thanks
Ray

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:49 pm 
ERROR AT LINE 0

Attachment:
Noname.jpg

Here is the custom utility cart collection image. It has:

SDX 4.45 (the 1mbit build, modified)
Express!
Diamond GOS
MAC/65
Basic XL
Basic XE
Action!
Instant MyDOS
Instant SmartDOS
Disk Wizard II
Copy 2000
My Copier 2.1
Instant Translator

All of these work as individual carts, the cartridge will not simulate 'stacked' cartridges. You would need a real SDX cart with a pass-thru connector for that.

Steve

There are images and/or files attached to this posting. You must be logged-in to view or download this content.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:06 pm 

Steve, thank you for the attachment. I downloaded and tried it in Altirra with success. As you already mentioned, the cartridge does not simulate 'stacked' cartridges. However, this is exactly what I was looking for, ability to boot SDX and be able to switch between various OSS programming environments while still runing under SDX. An intSDX would partly do what I am looking for but a cart would be much better as I can move it from one Atari to another.

A "supercartridge" that will have the above ability seems to exist however. I just found this thread while browsing Atariage forums: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/162486-oss-cartridges/. Just need a few more interested parties to start a production run.

Thanks again for all your help
Ray

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:34 pm 

Awesome - thanks for this image!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:24 am 

classics wrote:
Attachment:
Noname.jpg

Here is the custom utility cart collection image. It has:

SDX 4.45 (the 1mbit build, modified)
Express!
Diamond GOS
MAC/65
Basic XL
Basic XE
Action!
Instant MyDOS
Instant SmartDOS
Disk Wizard II
Copy 2000
My Copier 2.1
Instant Translator

All of these work as individual carts, the cartridge will not simulate 'stacked' cartridges. You would need a real SDX cart with a pass-thru connector for that.

Steve
Awesome image!

Now I need another 8mbit cart! =:O

Is there a way to activate MyDOS and then one of the language carts, Action! in particular?

-Steve Sheppard

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 4:05 am 
ERROR AT LINE 0

The image does not simulate 'stacked' carts, so you can't use SDX and the language carts at the same time with this one.

I'll hack around with it this summer and see if I can get this working somehow.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:25 pm 

Hi, Steve.

I was just wondering if you ever had a chance to investigate the possibility of making MyDOS and Action! (or any of the other languages) work cooperatively on the same cartridge.

-SteveS

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:21 am 

Nice post. I like it. Thanks for sharing these information. Keep it up.:)

http://www.amazon.com/ECDL-ICDL-4-0-Stu ... 0782143083
https://nl-nl.facebook.com/Veritas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:24 am 

Hello :

I have just started using this spartdos x 4.45 and the rest of the stacked items with my APE interface and has made the operation go so slick and great, in that I use MYDOS 4.xx for years and one of the complaints I get after using MYDOS the DOS part gets corrupt after many uses. With the cartridge the image can get corrupt, and stays clean. For using APE and this cartridge and two drives at once, makes the process of making images very easy and fast.

jim

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:02 pm 

Hi Steve,

classics wrote:
The image does not simulate 'stacked' carts, so you can't use SDX and the language carts at the same time with this one.

I'll hack around with it this summer and see if I can get this working somehow.

Steve

for SDX446 with "stacked carts" look here

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1391

best regards
CF

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next