It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:49 am

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Problem with SD-to-CF card adaptor and MyIDE-II
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 9:38 am 

Hi everyone,

I just got my MyIDE-II cartridge and in itself it runs great, MyDOS, the FAT32 Loader etc.
The big problem I have is getting it to read from my SD card (2GB) for which I bought a Type-II SD-to-CF adaptor (FC-1307):
http://www.amazon.de/Komputerbay-Compac ... B004QY0M7C

When I insert my SD-card which I normally use for my SIO2SD device, it detects the card, but the FAT32 XEX-Loader just writes states "k<0MSDOS.5.0" and I can't navigate the FAT file-system on the card.
A second, working SD-Card is not even detected.

When I use the the built-in cartridge tester and start the mount-test ("0"), it gives me an OK for initializing and mounting FAT (it says FAT16, although I'm quite sure it was formatted as FAT32) and again outputs the MSDOS-string from above.
The second SD card cannot be mounted and just says "No filesystem".

The problem with both cards is that when I do an extended read test, both do detect the model and serial number of the adaptor, but when reading starts at sector 1E5FFF (out of 1E6000), a timeout follows shortly after.

That's probably the reason why I can't partition the card from within MyBIOS (partition process never ends, some "rainbow-y" flashes appear regularly at varying positions). The big question for me is: why? The cards are detected and the adaptor seems pretty much standard. The only "odd" thing is that I use a pretty much upgraded ATARI with built-in Freezer, Cart-Emu (deactivated though), Hi-Speed OS and SIO2SD (also deactivated). But all this should probably interfere at a much earlier stage and not when it comes to read-access to the SD-card, shouldn't it?

I don't have CF-cards and I don't want to use them as all my devices and card-readers use SD, so I'd be really glad if there was a solution. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you and best wishes,

Frederik

Post subject: Re: Problem with SD-to-CF card adaptor and MyIDE-II
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 10:06 am 

Hi there,

Hmmm, strange.
The colors in the partition-manager are read/write errors.
These should not happen.

I used a SD/SDHC-CF card-adaptor in beta-testing and made it all work.
So that should be covered.
There is one potential bug and that is the internal sector-buffer.
When you write a sector, do not read after, and power down, its lost.
But this is not the issue you have.

On heavily extended atari's, grounding is the problem.
Be sure the cartridge slot has a good ground or 0 volt, this is the most common problem, giving the errors you see.
When not sure, solder a thick 1mm wire from the cartridge-slot-ground to the common ground near the power-source.

When you format a SD-card in FAT32 on the PC, this should be enough for the FAT-loader to work.
You need to force your OS to create a MBR with a FAT32-partition.
Then format it and put some atari-xex-files on it.
Not sure how a SD-card without MBR reacts.
(INIT in the myide-menu will create a fat32-partition/MBR, after which you need to format on your PC).

Later,
Sijmen.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:06 pm 

Hi Sijmen,

thanks for the prompt and detailed answer! I just tested the cartridge with a ordinary stock ATARI and the same problems occur.
Regarding the SD cards, one is FAT16 (which is at least detected and gets me the MSDOS.5.0 output in the XEX Loader), the other one is FAT32, and that's the one that says "No filesystem". Both are readable perfectly fine on my Mac and contain lots of folders with standalone (.com) files on it. The timeout result in the cart diagnostics is what wonders me quite a bit which happens for both cards, even the one that is detected as "MSDOS.5.0".
Do you have any other ideas maybe?

Thanks a lot,

Frederik

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 5:14 pm 

Hi Freetz,

Two questions:

1) Did you buy the MyIDE ][ from AtariMax or is it a 2nd hand used? I ask this because you must be sure that your MyIDE 2 firmware (not the flashpart, but the jtag-data from the CLPD chip) is up to date. When you bought it directly from AtariMax (recently) you are fine, these are updated.

2) Do you have a CF card in reach to test with? If that works the way it should, you know your MyIDE ][ interface is fine.

Not really useful for you, but I have Sio2SD in which I have comparable issues with some SD cards. I understood from Lotharek that there are (especially Kingston) certain brands sold on ebay, which are fake SD cards with all kind of issues on our Atari computers (not on PC or Mac). Could this be your issue too?

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 1:29 am 

Good to use a stock ATARI, this will minimize hardware-issues.

Load MyBIOS and press S+S+O to enter the MyIDE-MENU.
Now do a manual init, just put in some fake values like 2000/16/63 for CHS (on > 1 G card).
Say YES to FAT32 and do not erase partitions.
Then EXIT/SAVE.
This makes 2 partition entries in the MBR and does not check or erase areas.
Partitions are one FAT32, one resererved (for MyBIOS)

Move to your MAC/PC and format the partition as FAT32.
You should one "see" the first, not the second.
Size should be 378Mb (396361728 bytes).
Put some XEX files on it.

Now, what do you get now on the atari?

Otherwise, get your hands on any CF-card you can find.
If that one does not load, return the cartridge to atarimax for a check-up.

Later,
Sijmen.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 1:32 am 

Germany?

You can send it to me (Netherlands) for a check (firmware and CPLD).
I can not replace, since I do not have stock or do sales.
This all goes through atarimax.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 2:35 am 

Thanks for your feedback, although I'm still stuck :(...

@Sysop*Marius: I bought it from Atarimax, just got it two days ago. I don't have a CF-card at hand, but the SD cards work in my SIO2SD, so the problem you mention should probably not arise. I have tested a third one now (256MB), same problem ("No filesystem").

@mr-atari: I did as you suggested, but the computer hangs once I try to save the information. Also tried it with a third SD-card (256 MB) and automatic CHS detection, the detection worked the first time, but then again it hang up while saving/exiting. The card seemed to be untouched when I put it back in my Mac (had some files on it which were still there).

I have ordered a CF card now which should get to me by tomorrow, so I hope I know more then.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 8:29 am 

@freetz

Do you have somewhere a CF card reader? What happens when you use those CF -> SD converter on that CF-Cardreader on your PC/MAC? Are you able to format then?

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 7:07 am 

The SD-to-CF-adapter is recognized perfectly fine in a CF-card reader connected to my Mac, so the issue must be somewhere else, especially since I got myself a CF-card now which works fine and none of the issues mentioned before arise with that CF-card.

This is a bit of a bummer, because I'd like to have one card with all my files (plus an occasional backup) and not having to maintain two cards whenever I add software to it (I have several ATARIs, one with built-in SIO2SD, the other one with MyIDE now and I just wanted to swap the SD-card and take off from where I left the other).
Does anyone therefore have a working SD-to-CF adaptor and maybe a link to Amazon so I can get an adaptor that is actually working on MyIDE?

Anyway, thanks all of you for your help and suggestions.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:30 am 

I bought a cheap adapter from ebay china a year ago, free shipping.
It's green says SD/SDHC CF Card Adapter.
No brand and it works like a charm.
(Except the sector-write-buffer issue).

I use it for beta-testing

Looks very similar to this one:
http://www.ebay.nl/itm/K5M-Card-Adapter ... b02&_uhb=1
But mine is GREEN and does not say SDXC

Not sure what Type I and II are.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:28 am 

This looks similar to the one I bought, too, could you check in MyIDE's diagnostic tool as what it identifies itself? The one I bought is displayed as "FC-1307" CF-SD adaptor. Then I could look/ask for that specific chipset.
Type I and Type II are different sizes of CF-cards, notably for the different "thickness" of the card/adaptor.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:51 am 

It says:
Model Number: Memory Card Adapter
Serial Number: 0
Total Sectors: 00000FA0

(This is with NO media inserted)
(So I guess FA0 is the size of the sector-buffer)

With 2G SD:
Model Number: Memory Card Adapter
Serial Number: 0
Total Sectors: 003AF000

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:29 am 

Ok, thanks, mine was a bit more detailed in the "Model Number" section, so that would have helped to pick a working one. I guess I'll just stick to the regular CF card then and update both when I copy new stuff on either one of them :/...

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ]