It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:45 am

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: MyIDE + Flash Dual bios ATR image
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:33 pm 

After some discussions with Sijmen, I have got a working ATR flash image that contains the BIOS for 4.8.05 and 4.8.0A.

I've uploaded here for all to use, however you use this at your own risk, but it works just fine on my cart.

Just remove the .txt from the end of the file once downloaded and use it as an ATR, which I don't seem to be able to upload directly.

I've also include the workbook I created for the process.

Good luck.

There are images and/or files attached to this posting. You must be logged-in to view or download this content.

APE + serial SIO2PC
MyIDE 1
XC12 and 1010 tape drives
Atari 4160 STE with dual internal IDE
Atari 520STFM
Atari 7800 Prosystem
Atari 2600 Jr

Post subject: Re: MyIDE + Flash Dual bios ATR image
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:33 am 

Nice Job, I had a bear of a time when I had to try and do it myself.... I was afraid to try your image but did it anyway and was pleasantly surprised....

It's good! Thank you for helping others out and making a nice job of it...

Can you post the workbook with supporting files for others to look at and toy with?

I honestly wish for an update to allow us MyIDE+Flash 1mbit users to update to the very nice 4.9.xxx as I use a black box and MIO and would really like not have to tear things apart and but it back together when swapping the MyIDE cart in and out....I damaged my XE's cartridge port connector doing this the one day....grrrr. Now I need to find a cart port connector for a 130XE...

I did find a work around but it is convoluted.... and requires and eventual shift control tab coldstart to make it happen...

so long as the core MyIDE bios is on the flash why couldn't we just load the other parts off the first partition... There are so many of us with MyIDE 1's that it just makes sense to allow it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:19 am 

Sorry, I've been away from the forum for a bit, but the workbook is attached to my earlier post, hopefully you've seen it already :D

With regards to your other questions, Sijmen is mega helpful, he may be able to advise better than I can.

APE + serial SIO2PC
MyIDE 1
XC12 and 1010 tape drives
Atari 4160 STE with dual internal IDE
Atari 520STFM
Atari 7800 Prosystem
Atari 2600 Jr

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:26 am 

Why do you want to update to 4.9?
4.8 is IMHO the best and most stable version of MyBIOS there is, and as far as I remember compatible with the blackbox.

As long as you do not use the High Speed SIO in the BlackBox menu, everything works fine.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:30 am 

The only (serious) bug in 4.8.0A I run into is that the IMAGE menu does not detect the density of the SIO disk right on the first pass.
If you want to write a MEDIUM density image to your CF card/hardisk you have to do the copy process two times after each other. The second time it reads all $410 sectors. On the first pass only the first $2D0 sectors (which is single density).

As soon as you know this, the workaround is not really a big deal, since I do not convert images all the time.

I believe in the past I did run in a few other (minor) things, but I consider this version as 'rock solid'

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:19 pm 

The other thing is that you have to know to press Y for yes when filling an image slot... it does not ask you the yes no question after entering the slot name... if you press any other key it will dump out and do nothing

I would love to see this version with the couple bugs removed and have a finished etched in stone released MyIDE +Flash that I can proudly use a finished, polished, quality product!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:04 pm 

_The Doctor__ wrote:
The other thing is that you have to know to press Y for yes when filling an image slot... it does not ask you the yes no question after entering the slot name... if you press any other key it will dump out and do nothing

I would love to see this version with the couple bugs removed and have a finished etched in stone released MyIDE +Flash that I can proudly use a finished, polished, quality product!

I agree with that it would be better if this version would get a final bug free release, but... my experience with this is that fixing a bug on one side, increases the risk of creating new bugs.

From all the releases of MyBios this version is absolutely by far the most superb version. It runs almost any thinkable game, it operates lightning fast, it has an outstanding MyIDE menu and partition handling.
I'm too afraid of losing all this for a few minor bugs to be fixed.

I understand you feel left out a bit, because all the development seems to be on MyIDE II. Weird enough, I also use this version of MyBIOS for MyIDE ][ ... this version of MyBIOS does everything I need (and more) and the extra benefits the MyIDE ][ hardware gives me, do I enjoy in the FAT32 loader from Steven Tucker (which could actually use an update if you ask me).

MyIDE + Flash once came with MyBIOS 3.x F ... (which was very compatible but slow) and later with version 4.3 (which I never liked, but okay). ... That Sijmen kept updating the MyBIOS versions for MyIDE I is more than any other developer would have done (I bought a new Samsung Galaxy S3 NEO, and against all Samsung Policies, they decided simply not to develop/release Android Lollipop for it!)

So the point here is that when you want a bugfree product for your MyIDE + Flash, you might want to downgrade to 4.3 or 3.5F
Zero bugs, but also less cool features. I know what I would do.

Don't get me wrong please. I feel with you, and of course I would appreciate bug fixes in 4.8 myself. I love MyBIOS 4.8, and the few bugs I run into hurt my eyes a bit too; but I also can understand Sijmen only support MyIDE ][ from now on.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:13 pm 

Cool to know 3.5F and 4.3 have no bugs! 4.8.0A is so darn close to being perfect you can taste it...

it really is a shame to have to image twice... I tried it and it does work but takes forever to move images when you have to do it that way.... Glad to know there is a work-around....

No prompt to hit Y was discovered after time passed not doing images.. I was thinking why is it not moving the file over... ... and it crept into my head... it used to prompt you if you wanted to do this... so I hit Y and ta-da!...

What is the last version that can be used on MyIDE+Flash1... I know you had something where it flashed part of it and put the other part on the drive for some version and it worked, a nice how to would be cool on that....

We're still trying to figure out how we had regular disk based spartados on this way back... I know there was a driver but all I find now is the one for apt and sparta x..... I wanted to use sparta 3.3c on this again....like back in 2006 I think it loaded from floppy and then the myide1 was alive! at some point it might have been hacked into the bios itself.... not sure. don't remember the details... just know I wish to do it again...

a thread showing "The Best MyIde1 bios and drivers" that lists file links or redirects to the these versions would be awesome. I feel so sad when I talk to endless people who have tossed the myide1 into the spares bin never to be used because they couldn't navigate all this stuff... they end up buying something completely different..... I liked making a MyIDE and then buying one later on...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:57 pm 

_The Doctor__ wrote:
Cool to know 3.5F and 4.3 have no bugs! 4.8.0A is so darn close to being perfect you can taste it...

it really is a shame to have to image twice... I tried it and it does work but takes forever to move images when you have to do it that way.... Glad to know there is a work-around....

The other work around is using a PC tool which you can find on the forum somewhere. Then you can -in batch!- transfer all your images at once to your MyIDE Card

Quote:
No prompt to hit Y was discovered after time passed not doing images.. I was thinking why is it not moving the file over... ... and it crept into my head... it used to prompt you if you wanted to do this... so I hit Y and ta-da!...

Well you find out! Thankfully! But this is -I guess- also addressed in the manual of this Bios revision (not checked). It's a cosmetic 'flaw' that you are not prompted to press Y. I agree, but as soon as you know it, it's not considered as a bug (for me).

Quote:
What is the last version that can be used on MyIDE+Flash1... I know you had something where it flashed part of it and put the other part on the drive for some version and it worked, a nice how to would be cool on that....

The last version is this 4.8.0A ... All previous versions are not as powerful as this one. I also remember a version where you had to boot 3 sectors from a SIO device, and the rest was loaded from your CF card or harddisk. But all those versions were not as powerful as this 4.8.0a

Quote:
We're still trying to figure out how we had regular disk based spartados on this way back... I know there was a driver but all I find now is the one for apt and sparta x..... I wanted to use sparta 3.3c on this again....like back in 2006 I think it loaded from floppy and then the myide1 was alive! at some point it might have been hacked into the bios itself.... not sure. don't remember the details... just know I wish to do it again...

This is not possible; and it wasn't possible in the past. You can run SpartaDos disk version (3.3a) when you use MyBIOS in Eprom inside your atari. It is never possible with Flash-version of MyBIOS, since SpartaDos disk version and MyBIOS Flash version use the same RAM. There is a SpartaDos clone though, which is called BeWeDos. This Dos is written by BEWESOFT (Jiri Bernasek) and it uses the same File System as SpartaDos, so it can be an interesting alternative if you need to use the Flash Version of MyBIOS.
IIRC the first version of SpartaDos (1.0 or 1.1 or so) disk version also can be used, but... I believe that is so buggy, and not entirely compatible with SpartaDos file system, that it is not considered as a serious choice.

Even with MyBIOS in rom you are limited to SpartaDos 3.3a, since that is the only version that does NOT have a high speed SIO loader in side. Which means that it uses the OS SIO-Vector. This is absolutely needed for MyIDE/MyBIOS. As soon as a DOS forces it's own SIO-Vector you can not use MyBIOS; this makes sense, since MyBIOS is an adapted OS version, where the Sio-Vector points to the IDE-handler. As soon as a DOS bypasses this SIOV (which is always the case with High Speed SIO) the IDE handler isn't found anymore.

Quote:
a thread showing "The Best MyIde1 bios and drivers" that lists file links or redirects to the these versions would be awesome. I feel so sad when I talk to endless people who have tossed the myide1 into the spares bin never to be used because they couldn't navigate all this stuff... they end up buying something completely different..... I liked making a MyIDE and then buying one later on...

I'm still a huge fan of MyIDE 1. In fact I use the MyIDE 2 like it is a MyIDE 1; and sometimes I take benefit of the features a MyIDE 2 gives, but most of the time MyIDE 1 functionality is far enough for me.

I do not recognize any of your complaints. I think both MyIDE 1 and MyIDE 2 are more than excellent products, and I find the support on this forum, and Mr. Atari very good. If you need any help with it, ask... and I'm sure people here are glad and willing to help you.

One last thing: you also could flash your MyIDE 1 cartridge with the latest version of SDX and the APT drivers written by FJC. This means you can not use the functionality of MyBIOS anymore, but you get another kind of device back. Can be powerful and interesting too.

I have 4 MyIDE 1+flash interfaces (the blue ones) with the Stability fix. Two of them are spares, and the other two are in use. One of them is with SDX like I described above, and the other one is with MyBIOS and FAT32 loader; this one uses an 1GB dongle, and the SDX one has a CF card reader on top.

Next to that collection I have a few green and a few blue MyIDE 2 interfaces, which all kind of interesting stuff in the Flash part of the interface (like MyBIOS, a fast accessable SDX 4.47, several coding cart roms, tools ...) It's awesome.

So please don't see my reply as an attempt in proving that your point of view is wrong; I try to change your focus from the possible (little) bugs to the power this little device gives you! It's awesome!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:28 am 

might have been 3.3a.... the sparta x will not work with the bbs and I have the original MyIde with not stability fixes.. it hates the apt driver with a passion... too unstable... mybios has software stability fixes that keep it working perfectly with MyDos on the other hand..... I would have to get it working with 3.3a since that would still work with a BBS....

Not sure what utility would do batch file imaging... If you find it let me know... I tried to do search but failed to locate it....

Some days you eat the bear... Some days the bear eats you!

lol

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]